Music & Drama Education Awards 2022: Shortlists announced
Thursday, December 9, 2021
Winners in all 15 categories will be announced by a celebrity host in a live ceremony at the London Marriott Hotel on 23 March 2022
The shortlists for 12 categories in the Music & Drama Education Awards 2022 have been announced, revealing those in the running to take home an award at the ceremony in March next year.
Run annually by Music Teacher and Drama & Theatre magazines, the Awards celebrate the work of initiatives, organisations, charities and individuals in both music and drama education.
Last year’s ceremony took place online, but the event will return in person in 2022, at the London Marriott Hotel, Grosvenor Square, on 23 March.
The judging panel is made up of prominent figures in music and drama education, including winners of 2021 awards.
For drama and the cross-over categories, the judges are Sarah Lambie (chair), Tracy Dorrington, Suzann McLean, Keith Burt, and Joe England (for Excellence in SEND only).
For music and the cross-over categories, the judges are: Harriet Clifford (chair), Nate Holder, Donna Edmonds, Greg Coughlin, and Mark Robinson (for The Rocksteady Award for Progressive and Inclusive Music Education only). Meet the judges here.
Bringing the sector together after a challenging few years, the March ceremony will feature live performances, a champagne reception, and a three course dinner.
The shortlisted entries in drama and the cross-over categories are as follows:
Outstanding Drama Initiative
- Burberry Inspire Commission for Leeds Playhouse: East is East and Cas is Cas
- Company Three and Nick Hern Books, for When This Is Over
- Godber Theatre Foundation
- International Schools Theatre Association, for 2020 Vision
- Scarborough Sixth Form College, for S6F Performance Academy
- Theatre 31
- Whitefield School, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama and NHS Auchi Street, for Intergen Project
Outstanding Drama Education Resource
- Blackeyed Theatre, for Schools HUB
- Falmouth University, for their new Degree in Costume Design for Film and TV
- Glyn Trefor-Jones and Nick Hern Books, for Drama Menu at a Distance
- Methuen Drama and Matthew Nichols, for The Drama Teacher’s Survival Guide
- Suzanne Bushell, for Drama...what’s the point?
- Tom Craig and Derby Theatre, for Applied Theatre Podcast
Excellence in Primary/Early Years
- Collins Music, for Early Years Foundation Stage
- Greenwich Music School, for Musical Beginnings
- Leeds Playhouse, for Partner Schools
- London Rhymes
- Nottingham Girls’ High School, for Da Capo: An EY
- Music Programme
- Services for Education, for Soundtots
Excellence in SEND
- Breck Foundation, for Play Virtual, Live Realand SEN resources
- Chiltern Music Therapy Digital Outreach Initiative
- HMDT Music, for Music Treehouse
- Live Music Now’s Beatboxing for Lung Health and Speech Development
- Mousetrap Theatre Projects for Playmakers
Excellence in Musical Theatre
- A Place for us CIC, for Dreaming in Electric
- Mousetrap Theatre Projects, for Change Your Tune
- Terra Kulture/BAP Productions, for Music Reading Classes
- The School Musicals Company and RSL, for Performance Arts Awards books
- The School Musicals Company, for A-la-la-la-la-laddin the Musical
Drama Inspiration Award
- Nicola Abraham
- James Clark
- Rachel Hudspith
- Rhiannon Jones
- Clare McAvoy
- Adam Milford
Outstanding School Drama Department
- Admiral Lord Nelson School, Portsmouth
- Chiswick School, London
- Claremont High School Academy, Harrow
- Copthorne Preparatory School, Crawley
- Great Torrington School, Devon
- St Mary’s College, Hull
At the live ceremony, winners will be announced in three further categories: the Music Teacher Magazine Editor’s Award (sponsored by EVC Music), the Drama & Theatre Magazine Editor’s Award, and the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award.