Linbury Prize celebrates future of stage design with exhibition
Thursday, November 16, 2023
The exhibition has also coincided with this year’s Discover! Creative Careers Week — an industry-wide initiative that aims to inspire young people to pursue careers in the creative sector.
Showcasing the next generation of theatre designers from across the UK, the Linbury Prize for Stage Design 2023 has opened a free exhibition at the National Theatre, Southbank.
Featuring the work of 12 emerging designers who have been selected as recipients of the 2023 Linbury Prize, the exhibit also shows their submissions in model boxes, costumes, life-sized puppetry, sketches, digital stage designs and production photography.
‘As the creative industries continue to grow faster than any other sector in the wider economy, it is vital that we are all doing our part to open pathways into the industry and welcome everyone's unique experiences, talents and skills to this sector,’ said Kate Varah, executive director of the National Theatre. ‘We hope everyone who visits this exhibition will be inspired by the brilliant creations and we can’t wait to see what these talented designers do next!’
The construction of the exhibition is created from 90% recycled materials and the prize has committed to supporting designers to develop sustainable careers in the creative industry.
This year’s recipients of the award and exhibiting as part of the exhibition are:
- Ania Levy (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama)
- Bethan Wall (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama)
- Biz Sutton (Edinburgh College of Art)
- Finlay Jenner (Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts)
- Jodie Jew Yates (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama)
- Nitin Parmar (London College of Fashion UAL)
- Ola Kłos (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama)
- Peiyao Wang (Royal Central School of Speech and Drama)
- Tallulah Caskey (Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts)
- Tiffany Fraser Steele (London College of Fashion UAL)
- Yijing Chen (Royal Central School of Speech and Drama)
- Yimei Zhao (Royal Central School of Speech and Drama)
The 2023 Linbury Prize for Stage Design exhibition is free to visit in the Lyttelton Lounge at the NT and will close on 30 March 2024.